A 23-year-old man has been killed and several others injured after a group of men broke into a restaurant in New York’s Brooklyn borough and brutally attacked them.
Police say the attack was a hate crime.
The attackers were part of a group who had been in New Jersey on Monday night and Tuesday, the New York Post reported.
“We’re working very hard on finding the person responsible for this heinous act,” Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson said on Tuesday, adding that he could not provide further details.
Police said the attack occurred around 8:30pm on Monday at the restaurant, located in an upscale area of Brooklyn, when the group of attackers broke into the establishment.
“One of the attackers, who had a long beard, took a knife and started stabbing the staff, and another person grabbed a hammer and hit the attackers in the head and neck,” a witness told the Post.
“The other person grabbed another hammer and smashed the restaurant window.”
“The victim fell to the ground, and the assailants started kicking him in the face and head,” the witness added.
“He was unconscious and could not move.
He fell to his knees.
He was bleeding profusely.
He couldn’t talk, couldn’t stand up.”
The man who was stabbed in the back was taken to hospital and is expected to survive, police said.
Another witness said that the attackers also stole some cash from the restaurant.
“Somebody had $2,000 inside the restaurant,” the man said.
“They also took the money and threw it on the ground.
They also threw some clothes on the floor, and they threw some food items.”
The attack came just two days after a mob of black men attacked a white man in Charlotte, North Carolina.
That attack left one man dead and three other people injured.
The police are currently investigating the motive behind the attacks.
“There are multiple suspects involved,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement.
“Anyone with information should call police at (718) 557-5500 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.
The investigation is ongoing.”